21.11.14

and walked away.

While in line, a ruddy, greying man meant to walk past me and to the restroom. I smiled at him. He veered towards me, leaned in, mumbled. Not understanding, I asked him to repeat himself. 
Have you spoken to him? I said No, I hadn't, I'm sorry. His faded, yellowing eyes held mine. He turned and went to the restroom. A foul smell lingered - the accusing specter of homelessness. 
I ordered tea because it was inexpensive. As is my ritual, I removed the cup and let the tea cool. I sipped slowly, with long spaces between each, and typed responses to teachers and supervisors. I listened to music and people-watched. 
I did not see him leave, but he must have. He reentered. His flannel coat was thick and red, accentuating his broad, imposing posture. His hair was matted, greasy, long. He sat down one table over, uninvited by the bald professor working across from him. Shifting uneasily, he went to the barista, mumbled, and returned to his seat with a pen and napkin. I did not vary my attention under his gaze. I typed but could see his quick, frenzied strokes. He stopped, folded the napkin, and pushed in his chair. He walked toward me, set the napkin on the edge of my table and left. We did not exchange words or glances. Intrigued, I opened the napkin: a simple, rude profile of a woman in blue ink. I finished my tea but continued my work. 
Ten minutes later he returned to his spot with another napkin. The professor had left, leaving him room to hunch forward protectively around his work. This time he gives the drawing to a rosy and tired young lady. He hands it to her and leaves. She watches him, puzzled. I packed my laptop into a borrowed case and made my way home with the napkin folded carefully in my hand. 

Gifts, especially those unsolicited and unexplained, are suspect and confusing. In an age of false generosity seeking recognition or payback, gifts are not received without question, voiced or not. This man gave me a drawing. He did not address me or explain it to me. He did not ask me for something in return. He did not make a big deal out of it. He set it on the edge of my table and walked away. I didn't even say thank you. 

Cheers to hot tea.
Cheers to strangers and strange encounters.
Cheers to a new (old) way of giving. 

No comments: