i love driving in the rain. the jittery drivers i can do without. the spike in accidents isn't favorable, i admit. let's face it, most people can't drive in the rain.
but when it's raining really hard and i'm in traffic, i turn off my windshield wipers and wait until it gets blurry and the brake lights blur together. i only do that for a second because i don't want to contribute to those accidents. but i have a secret.* a child-sized smile spreads across my face each time i drive underneath an overpass and the sound of rain stops for a brief moment. and then it starts up again. it is ever so enchanting.

the rain is a million pixies having a dance party on my roof.
doing the mashed potato and the twist.
*i actually have two.** when i drive home late i don't use my gas pedal. the street is a shadow. the incandescent green lights wait. sometimes i go as slow as five miles per hour. and the whole world is silent.
**i lied. i have three. when i feel especially contemplative. or that the sun is setting on a day that i've not been "present" with others and myself. i deliberately drive behind a slow car or big eighteen wheeler. because i am training myself to live an unhurried, unanxious life. to decelerate my life in the hopes of living abudantly. to still the need to get ahead (in the quickest way possible). to enjoy traffic, because i am fully alive. to enjoy every mundane, ordinary thing, because i am fully alive. because they are not as mundane and ordinary as i think.
fact: only a handful of people knew all that. now all of blogdom (who deems this post worth reading) does. silly me. i do hope that all made sense.
5 comments:
perfect sense!
And I love that underpass rain/no rain thing too. What I love even more? The freeway I take home through the country has a bit where train tracks run above it, and ever since I was a kid, I always roll down the windows (no matter the weather), turn off the radio, and listen. It's one of my favorite secret delights.
Funny how those little things bring so much joy.
Great post!
makes definite sense:) if i had a car in this lovely california rain i would do the same...and i certainly do in new mex! it's nice to feel alive in the beauty God gives us despite that the rest of the world is rushing through it.
nice secrets pretty girl:)
i love driving in the rain too!!
this makes total sense!
since rain is so scarce here, anytime it does, i turn off any sound (especially when i'm driving) and just sit and listen to it.. rain's pretty great.
i would have to say that I find this blog entry quite intriguing! I also love the brief silence that comes during the underpass, i don't smile but i notice! :) This weather is crazy but i love it!
Love this! And I completely agree!
Post a Comment