"Are you here for the Bible Study?" she asked.
The expansive voice alarmed me. My quivering fingers hovered over the next impossible chord. I turned to see her - a frail woman in a blue, belted frock. Uncanny, that resonant voice, that incredible, Ozian voice.
"Um, no, I'm actually finishing up. I was practicing piano. I wasn't aware there was a Bible Study here - I think should probably leave before it begins," I said as I closed my song book and masterfully pushed in the piano bench with my right knee. I walked off the stage towards her.
"Oh, please keep practicing." Dove eyes, she had dove eyes - uncorrupted, open, holy.
"I can practice in the Hall across the courtyard, it's okay. I don't want to be in the way." Nervous laughter.
"But it doesn't start until 4:30. They must be running late. Oh, please keep practicing."
She hadn't blinked once. Her blue shimmering lids like moon light followed me kindly. I looked at the clock. 4:25.
"It's really okay, I can practice in the Hall. Enjoy your Bible study."
"Oh, alright. So long."
I left the dim room, leaving the door open for the others. She took petite steps to a wooden chair in the second row, gently - weakly - bent to tuck her basket weave clutch on the inside leg of her chair, and stared brightly at the stage. She waited for a cue to sit.
At 4:57 she was still standing.
No comments:
Post a Comment